Il Casale degli Ulivi is a renovated farmhouse, is located in a quiet area surrounded by greenery, about 2.5 km from the center of Barga (one of the 100 most beautiful villages in Italy just outside the Garfagnana). The property consists of a 6 hectares of land with forests of chestnut trees, green lawns and olive groves with benches and wooden tables. The location offers a breathtaking view of the Apuane Alps.
The property offers a welcoming family atmosphere, cared for personally by the proprietors. The furnishings are in perfect Tuscan style with the terracotta floors and the wood beams.
The house is divided into two floors, 2 bedrooms with double beds and of which one has an additional single bed, 2 bedrooms with comfortable sofa bed, 2 kitchens, 1 living room and 2 bathrooms.
From the Casale you can reach through the paths some neighboring countries; employing little time travel by car, you can reach the start of trails that will take you to the Apuan Alps or on the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines.
Outdoors ample space for dining.
It offers sun beds, umbrellas, bicycles and barbecue.
In autumn you can pick up the chestnuts, you will have free equipment for roasting them.
The area surrounding the house is great for collecting mushrooms.
The pool is open from mid-May to late September (weather permitting).
Free Internet WiFi! available throughout the structure and in the pool area
We organize excursions with mountain guide on the Apuan Alps and the Tuscan-Emilian and guided excursions by mountain bike (cost to be agreed with the guide).
BARGA, an ancient ‘castle’ of Longobard origins and goes back to the XIV century, is situated on a hill closed off by walls with three gates and surrounded by the Appuan Alps and the Apennine.
We suggest a visit to the Duomo which rises from the summit of the town offering an exceptional view of the Media Valle Del Serchio;, The Theatre Of Different, the Church of S. Francis, the Civic Museum, the Praetorian Palace and the museum-house of Giovanni Pascoli not far from Barga in Castelvecchio Pascoli to capture a sense of his poetry.
Proceeding in the direction of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana (15 min by car) you can chose whether to continue towards the Versilia Riviera or to get a flavour of the views on offer around the characteristic villages of the Garfagnana, and we can suggest a dip into nature with visits to:
- the Parco dell’Orecchiella (1 hour by car for animal lovers and botanists);
- San Romano and the Fortezza delle Verrucole (30 minutes by car through the villages of Caprignana and Orzaglia you will reach Verrucole and a short walk will bring you to the ancient Fortezza, a perfect setting for a relaxing picnic on the soft green meadows);
- the Parco delle Alpi Apuane;
- the Lago di Vagli (40 minutes by car), a special artificial lake, for its waters hide an ancient ghost town, Fabbriche, which emerges only once in every ten years when the lake is emptied in order to allow maintenance of the dam;
- Campocatino, climb to Vagli di Sopra to reach a basin modelled by an ancient glacier and dotted with characteristic shepherd’s huts used for the summer pasture;
- Gorfigliano and Gramolazzo, here you will be enchanted by the reflection of the Pisanino mountain in the clear waters of the artificial lake.
Having reached Castelnuovo and Pieve Fosciana you will arrive in about half an hour to Castiglione Garfagnana, a typical fortified town surrounded by walls going back to the XII century.
From Castiglione and proceeding further, you will reach the hamlet of S. Pellegrino in Alpe (less than an hour), and we suggest visiting the sanctuary of the same name.
In the direction of Gallicano:
- Vergemoli and the Grotta del Vento which offers underground to discover a wonderful world of stalactites and stalagmites.
From Barga you can easily reach many famous historic centres, such as:
- Lucca (not to be missed: Duomo di San Martino, where the tomb of Ilaria Del Carretto and the wooden sculpture of the Volto Santo are conserved, Piazza Napoleone in the heart of the city, the churches of San Michele in Foro, of San Paolino and of San Frediano, Palazzo Mansi and the Guinigi tower);
- Florence (to visit: Piazza della Signoria, the Duomo, the Uffizi, Santa Croce);
- Pisa (we advise: the Leaning Tower, the Baptistery and the Duomo, which are all in the famous Piazza dei Miracoli);
- Viareggio (famous sea side resort with long promenade where you’ll find shops and restaurants and a few minutes from Viareggio you can also visit Forte Dei Marmi).